I’ve been thinking about yesterday’s post — it got more “hits” than any other post I’ve written. It will definitely be an ongoing thing, but I have to wait for the pearls to drop from his lips, so I thought I’d revisit some of the places he’s discussed with me in the past.
In no particular order, some of the places on Mark’s List of Places he Hates:
- Morocco: “I went to buy a scone in the market, Joanie, and one of the raisins on it flew away.“
- Disney World
- Egypt: “I went to the pyramids. I was underwhelmed. What the hell have they done in the last 2000 years?”
- Canadian Tire
- Casinos (“Reno, the saddest town in the world.”)
- Camping: why would someone want to sleep outside when they have a perfectly good bed at home, or a hotel?
- Picnics: food and the outdoors do not mix. This is a fairly firm rule.
- Church: he does not believe in a “great big invisible magic guy in the sky” or a “sky pixie.”
- Bathtubs: does not like to have a nice long soak “in my own dirt? why would I do that?“
- Sudan (this deserves a post all of it’s own, someday)
- street names in Hawaii: “every street basically has the same name… a collection of h, w, k, and a’s in random order in a four-syllable word with a lot of superfluous letters.”
Oh dear, I can’t go on….
Though apparently “the whole UK has issues” too.
Places He Likes
He likes a few places too. A few probing questions got these answers:
Gibraltar: “Joanie, every bar is like being in a pirate movie.”
It’s a start, right?